Let's Talk Film: Greta Gerwig
An illustrated, lively talk where you can connect with other film fans. Learn about the rise and rise of Greta Gerwig, from indie icon, through Lady Bird and Little Women, to Oscar-nominated auteur.
Director: greta gerwig!
Cast includes: various
Hosted by film historian ben newell
120 mins approx. with interval
'Let's Talk Film' is a new social film night at The Electric Palace, a regular space for film fans to meet up in Hastings and discuss all things film!
Whether you’re a budding cinephile or a seasoned filmgoer then this an inviting opportunity to share your love for cinema through informal discussion in an open space and take a closer look at the life and work of the auteurs of the big screen - the individuals behind the camera who have called the shots and crafted cinema experiences that have enthralled generations of moviegoers.
This month, to mark International Women's Day, we are celebrating the work of Greta Gerwig, actor, from starring in Hannah Takes The Stairs (pictured), to writer and director of Lady Bird, Little Women and last year's summer smash hit Barbie (screening with us on Sat 9 March, with Pink fancy dress!).
During the evening we will discuss clips from the Letterboxd Barbie Watchlist and predict whether or not Gerwig will be one of the very few female directors to win an Oscar. (Psst, we're on Letterboxd too - pay us a visit.)
Doors open at 7pm for informal pre-talk chat.
Talk begins at 7.30pm.
Half time interval for discussion.
Talk concludes at 9.30pm.
Bar remains open until 10pm for further group chat.
Comments from the previous Let's Talk Film night:
- "Interesting, moving and magical evening discussing the inspirational Derek Jarman with some lovely people. Thanks for the fab talk Ben."
- "A delightful evening of unique insight and stories."
- "Film is a powerful medium to provoke thought, spark conversations, and unite people through shared stories."
Hosted by film historian Ben Newell, who has worked as a film festival supervisor and film programmer in a number of cinemas and festivals around the UK including the Edinburgh Film Festival, Glasgow School of Art and Lonsdale Cinema in Carlisle.
How you can support the Electric Palace:
- Book a ticket to a screening.
- Become an official Friend of the Electric Palace
- Hire the cinema for a private party
- Buy a gift voucher
- Donate to the cinema
- Sign up to receive our enewsletter
- Play our piano before a screening and see the film for free!
- Support us on social media by sharing our posts and events