La Belle et La Bête
Beauty and the Beast, a 1946 French romantic fantasy film directed by French poet and filmmaker Jean Cocteau.
Director: Jean Cocteau
Cast includes: Jean Marais, Josette Day
93 mins / 1946 / France, subtitles
Jean Cocteau’s sublime adaptation of Mme. Leprince de Beaumont’s fairy-tale masterpiece - in which the pure love of a beautiful girl melts the heart of a feral but gentle beast - is a landmark of motion picture fantasy, with unforgettably romantic performances by Jean Marais and Josette Day. The spectacular visions of enchantment, desire, and death in Beauty and the Beast (La Belle et la Bête) have become timeless icons of cinematic wonder.
How you can support the Electric Palace:
- Book a ticket to a screening.
- Become an official Friend of the Electric Palace
- Hire the cinema for a private party
- Buy a gift voucher
- Donate to the cinema
- Sign up to receive our enewsletter
- Support us on social media by sharing our posts and events